Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Kraft Journal - Working On The Inside of Cards

How many times have you looked through your finished cards to find "just the perfect card" for just that one specific occasion?  You don't always have exactly what you need.  But by creating and planning ahead, you can be ready for those occasions when you need just the perfect card.  I came up with this technique for "Working With The Inside of Cards" when my husband came to me one day and asked, "do you have a card for a fellow police officer's retirement"?  We were going to his retirement party, and I was under the gun.  But, I knew EXACTLY how I could get JUST the right card.

Start by making your card fronts somewhat "generic".  Don't completely commit to a theme for the card.  Then, when you need just the right one, you take out one of those cards with a very simple front, and work on the inside of the card to make it perfectly fit the occasion at hand.  There are oodles of great digis out there, as well as stamped sentiments, or......as I did, just do an internet search for the perfect sentiment.  Then, save the file, and print it on your computer.  You can cut and attach it to the inside of your card.  Now, you have the perfect sentiment (and your husband is happy because you don't have to stop at Hallmark and spend $6.  LOL  Seriously, having packages of these great Notecards from the Kraft Outlet on hand, and making your own "generic" cards, will end up saving you SO much money.  Not to mention, hand-made cards are always just so much more special.

My first card/example (front) was made using a Large Lunchbag Kraft Notecard, and to that I added some patterned papers that I machine stitched.  Next, I added a Mini Kraft Merchandise Bag, and tied several lengths of Brown Baker's Twine around the card and into a bow.  I added a mini tag cut from a piece of Brown Kraft Cardstock and attached with a Tim Holtz Memo Pin.
Karen Letchworth for The Kraft Journal
In the photo below, you can really see the embellished Mini Kraft Merchandise Bag up close.  These little bags cost a whopping TWENTY CENTS each, and are just perfect for tucking in a gift card.  That's exactly what we did for this (soon to be) retirement card my husband needed..  Now, we had the card ready, and an automatic place to tuck in his gift card.  Another reason why I LOVE the Mini Kraft Merchandise Bags.
Karen Letchworth for The Kraft Journal
So, as you can see, the inside of my Large Lunch Bag Kraft Notecard is decorated with coordinating patterned papers, and I just left a spot for the sentiment.  As I said, I found the sentiment on-line, and printed it onto a piece of Buff Ivory Cover Weight Cardstock which was inked.  That's it.  The perfect card for any occasion.

So, the second idea I'm going to share with you all for this Watch Us Wednesday segment on "Working With The Inside of Cards" is to share another wonderful idea and simple idea with you all.  I once had someone ask me if I could make a card with a "Hallmark sentiment".  I said, "what do you mean by that?", and they what they meant was that they wished they could print a sweet poem, a personal note, or tailor fit the wording exactly - like in a card you would purchase at the store.  Well, I have the solution to that as well.  You can make the inside of your card say ANYTHING YOU WANT.....literally!
Karen Letchworth for The Kraft Journal
Again, I started by keeping the front of my card very simple so that ANY sentiment could be added to the front (i.e. Happy Birthday, Get Well Soon, Sympathy, etc.).  I used a Large Buff Ivory Notecard, attached some patterned papers, a bow made of Oatmeal Cream Hand-Stained Bias Tape and Rose Petal Cupcake Hand-Stained Bias Tape.  The bow is secured with a Tim Holtz Memo Pin holding a tiny tag cut from Buff Ivory Coverweight Cardstock.
Karen Letchworth for The Kraft Journal
This time, I used a Small Glassine Bag decorated with some Tape Measure Washi Tape and some Pink & White Polka Dot Washi Tape that I machine stitched to the card base. I tucked a Starbucks card into this card which I ended up giving to a very dear friend for her birthday.
Karen Letchworth for The Kraft Journal
By creating a template that will hit just perfectly when you run a Notecard through your printer.  In this case, I used the Large Buff Ivory Notecard which happens to be 5x7.  Using this template, you can literally type anything you desire (in any font you desire).  This way, you always have the PERFECT sentiment that says exactly what you want, or need, it to say.  Always the perfect card.  Now, that's the way to work the inside of a card.

I'm sharing my second card (Birthday card) in the following challenge:
Simon Says Challenge Blog - Wednesday Challenge - Simon Says "Happy Birthday" - My second card above is a personalized birthday card.  Photos show front of card and inside of card.

Diana M. Larson Blog - April Linky Party - Anything Goes

Working with the insides of cards can be a lot of fun, and can really help you expand the usefulness of your card-making.  It's great having cards on hand that can quickly be altered for the perfect occasion, and having great Notecards and supplies from the Kraft Outlet makes it SUPER EASY to create them.

And here's a bonus......If you happen to purchase our Large Buff Ivory Notecards, and you'd like me to send you the template with the perfect measurements for printing the inside of our notecards, just leave a comment letting me know you'd like it.  I'll do everything I can to get it to you right away.  But don't forget, you can also create your own templates by playing with the size of your cards (working in Microsoft Word, etc.)

Have fun working with the insides of your cards, and happy crafting,
for The Kraft Journal

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards Karen!!!! LOVE the completed insides on both!!!
    AWESOME job my sweet friend!!! Have a GREAT Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super joli comme toujours, tellement de style et de talent, biz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    Your are a creative genius. The layouts and color combo's on these card are dynamic. I usually stamp assorted sentiments or something while I make the cards and tuck them inside to be able to stick them on when the time arises. Today I made envelopes for about 10 cards that will be hand delivered. . Blessings,
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous! Love the colors and all the pretty details! Thank you so much for joining us at the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your cards are so beautiful on the inside and out- I love the color and design on both. The xoxox wooden piece is a nice touch. It is a blessing to have you join the challenge
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes April Linky Party. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.
    dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen, I have been trying to reach you and have sent you a few PM's through Facebook. You won a contest for commenting on my blog post. http://papercreationsbykristin.blogspot.com/2014/02/my-craft-spot-guest-designer-valentine.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever idea Karen - I must do some of these to have on hand - especially for sympathy cards.

    Love the masculine card you had on hand, and the feminine one is pretty too.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cards are gorgeous and very practical too. I bought some of these type of mini bags the other day, and you've given me some great ideas on how to use them. Blessings, my friends!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. They mean so much to me.